Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Just Wondering

So I was thinking about how they always say that newborns can recognize their mothers by their smell, and how a blanket that smells like mom will be comforting to them. This made me wonder, at what age to we lose this ability? I don't think that I would be able to identify Schuyler or Levi by smell if I had to. So, does Levi still have this? When he snuggle up to me at night, in his sleep, does he know it's me by my smell, or does he just assume it's me because it's always me when he wakes up? Then I was thinking that maybe we do still have this ability, we just wouldn't trust it. Maybe I could identify a blanket that smelled like Levi or Schuyler out of a bunch of blankets, if only I could trust that sense instead of using my brain too much. Hmm, I wonder....

In case you were wondering where the heck this came from, well, you have to think about something when you are home with a toddler all day.

4 Comments:

Blogger [REDACTED] said...

I think it just sort of gets lost in the whole sensory melange that we develop as we grow. I think we still have it, it's just not as noticeable. I mean, I can still remember very clearly those first few months when we were dating and I had the intoxicating scent of your perfume on my mind all the time.

Whoa. Sorry about that everybody, but I get a little carried away from time to time, ya know?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I don't even know what to say. Is that sweet or should I say eww?

4:12 PM  
Blogger kate said...

What! That's definitely sweet!
What perfume was it?

12:55 PM  
Blogger [REDACTED] said...

Tommy Girl. I think it was the only Hilfiger brand thing Maggie has ever owned.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home