Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sometimes I really love my neighborhood

Yesterday, I was pushing Levi on the swings at the playground across the street. There was a 7-year-old girl on one of the swings and we had a nice conversation. She asked me where I was from and I told her I lived across the street. I asked her where she was from and she said, "Russia". I couldn't tell - she had very little accent. She told me that they had moved here not too long ago and lived near the Russian embassy and that she went to Russian school. She is in the second grade for American school and the first grade for Russian school. She asked me if I am trying to learn any languages. I told her that I am not. She told me that she is trying to learn Spanish and French, but that she is not that good at it. I told her, but you already know Russian and English, two languages is pretty good. She said, "I know Russian, but my English isn't very good, I still need to work on it a lot."
It was pretty humbling, but it a good way. I don't need to be smarter than a seven-year-old, and I'm excited that Levi is exposed to such people, and such a diverse group of international cultures as he is, simply by playing at the playground.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I love trying to find ways to relate to, identify with, and be challenged by people of all ages and cultures. It makes me feel more alive.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home