Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Memory Lane Monday

So I guess we're telling stories about kindergarten today. The thing I remember most about kindergarten is my best friend Patty. She was really poor and all the kids made fun of her and I used to come home crying about it. We were kind of poor too. Sometimes we had a house to rent and sometimes the three of us (me, mom, sister) lived in a room at my grandma's house. I didn't realize at the time that we were poor, but my mom has told me since that she came very close to going on welfare many times because she couldn't feed us, but something always happened to help her get through. I guess going on welfare would make her feel like she'd failed at her life away from my dad. I remember not having shoes in the summer. Anyway, don't feel sorry for me, because I was perfectly happy and unaware that we were poor. Nobody made fun of me about it. But my friend Patty had ratty, dirty clothes and everyone made fun of her so much. Sometimes she would stay the night at our house and we would lay in bed and sing 'you are my sunshine' before we went to sleep. One time I won a big ribbon for something, I don't remember what, and she really liked it so I gave it to her.

Also, the bus driver really liked me. He got everyone a Christmas card, and he bought me a full sized greeting card and a pack of gum. I was the only one that got that and I thought it was pretty cool, but I think it really freaked my mom out.

Also, I was some kind of genius in kidnergarten. I have my standardized test scores and got 99th percentile in every subject. I was at fourth grade reading level. I don't know what happened after that. I've just gotten successively dumber every year. That year I got to be in a special after school program for smart kids, but all I can remember from it is learning 'Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do' and eating a giant sandwich.

Also, I really loved the assistant teacher, Kindra. I was one of her favorites too. I always remembered her, but hadn't talked to her for years. Then, when we were making our wedding guest list, it turned out she was related to Schuyler and we got to invite her to the wedding.

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Ha! Neat stuff. I want to leave so many comments... Hey, why not?
Why do we get tested in freakin' kindergarten? I just don't get that. One kid I knew got held back because he tested so low, and four years later he was in the talented and gifted program. Maybe holding him back worked. Har.
My college freshman roommate (Jen), probably my best friend ever in my life from that year alone, had a similar situation as yours (it sounds like) -- mom recovering from marriage, for lack of a more sensitive way of putting that (sorry); four kids; probably lived at Jen's grandparents. I'm not sure. She told me about getting ready for church, and how they couldn't afford nylons very often -- which seems weird now, but as I recall, then they were a must-wear for semi-formal occasions, like church (?) -- and so they would find a run-less leg and wear it on one side, then another run-less leg from another pair of nylons on the other leg. When I was 18, that thought blew my mind. One time, I said something about a dress making me look like a pregnant mom on welfare, and she got super, super mad. And rightfully so, as I see it today. I just didn't have any exposure to need, or, apparently, sensitivity, when I was growing up. My parents DID try. Do not fault them. :)
How awesome that this k-garden assistant turned out to be a Schuyler relative! Neat story.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home