Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

A sign

Today, I was driving somewhere and I saw a sign at a church that said:

An unborn baby is a beloved child of God.
Need help? Call 703-820-7111.

It just struck me that that is a very simple, loving, nonpolitical way to put it. Do you agree?

PS - abortion is a very sensitive topic, please keep comments kind.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

I do agree ... I love it that this church is willing to help moms who are in crisis, rather than just pointing their finger at them. Love - what a concept.

7:13 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I agree. And, to echo Ms. Solas' point, I love that the church gave a practical course of action. Putting themselves out. Being God's hands and feet.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Mike Croghan said...

Kudos to this church! Right on.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I thought it well stated.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

Not to be too contrarian, but I'd want to know what happens when you actually call the number. Does the mother-to-be actually get help without being emotionally manipulated?

If they maintain the attitude on the sign then I think it's probably a good thing; if it's just their way of offering a "free weekend at the beach" so they can try to sell her a time-share the whole weekend then I think it's misguided.

That may seem cynical, but growing up Southern Baptist can make one sensitive to the influence of Amway on some people's idea of evangelism. Also, I've been to training at a 'crisis pregnancy center' in the late '80's. I would hope that the pro-life movement has matured past such tactics, but the politics over it haven't gotten much less ugly.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

The imp in me was kind of hoping that someone would say something negative or contrarian. Anyway, I wonder if anyone's opinion would be changed for better or worse if I said that it was a catholic church.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

That it's Catholic makes me tend a little more toward better, since they actually have social services that aren't geared completely around a philosophy of Amway evangelism. But only a slight bit better.

I wish I could have better accomodated your imp. :)

11:46 PM  

<< Home