Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

On Politics

I've tried several of those sites that ask you questions about your political opinions and then tell you which candidates match you best. I like this one best. It lets you choose undecided and assign a priority level to things. Plus it has more of the basic questions. And not the sound bite type questions.

Can you guess who it gave me though?


1. Dennis Kucinich (90.48% match)
2. Mike Gravel (88.1% match)
3. Ron Paul (72.62% match)

I had almost no match with Mitt Romney or Guiliani so that's comforting.
All three of my candidates are considered to be loonies I think. I guess my political views are not mainstream. I doubt I will get a chance to cast a vote for one of them.

I'm fairly interested in Ron Paul. He seems to have a big internet following but also seems to be being largely ignored in the mainstream media. I disagree with a lot of the things he says, but I think I might vote for him anyway given the chance. (not that I will be given the chance). I sort of think that things I disagree with would be worth it to get us not only out of Iraq, but get our military out of the rest of the world and stop our Imperialism. It also seems that we are descending into some sort of fascist police state and he seems wholly able to derail that. I'm also sick of overly pragmatic politicians like Hillary that don't seem as if they even have real opinions. They say what they think we want to hear. Ron Paul is really standing by what he says. And he seems to have given it a lot of real thought. What thinkest thou?

9 Comments:

Blogger Ken Tennyson said...

Interesting, I also had Dennis Kucinich as my top match (93%), followed by Gravel, Dodd, and then Clinton. I have heard good things in the past about Kucinich, but I don't think he can win the election. I will probably vote for Clinton in the primary, although I am still looking at Edwards and Obama...

Thanks for the link!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Thanks for responding Ken.

I've written and erased and rewritten several responses, but let me just ask this: What are your reasons for wanting to vote for Senator Clinton?

10:16 AM  
Blogger [REDACTED] said...

I Senator Clinton wins the election, I'm leaving the country.

Of course, to be fair, if Giuliani wins the election, I'm leaving the continent.

So at least I've got that going for me, which is nice.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Ken Tennyson said...

Well, here goes...

Senator Clinton supports the Kyoto Protocol (unlike most other candidates), she is for regulation requiring fuel efficient cards, supports universal health care, supports an Iraq war withdrawal, would like to increase the minimum wage, supports affirmative action, and is against oil drilling the Artic National Wildlife Refuge.

She is a pragmatic politician (why I view as a bonus, not a detriment) who works hard to find reasonable solutions to difficult problems (James Madison esque?). We have had enough trumpet blowing idealists in the office, we need someone who can listen to the voice of the people and then act.

I went to a Sojourner's interview with Senator Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards. Maranda and I both were impressed by the candor of Senator Clinton, she clearly showed a great deal of experience and knowledge about important issues. Obama came off as a bit sophomoric, and Edwards was hard to understand (too many words, not enough content).

I think any of the three would be far better than most of the Republican candidates (although I think McCain is pretty good in most areas).

12:32 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I don't think she really supports an Iraq war withdrawal and I'm convinced that if she were elected we would very soon be in a war with Iran if we aren't already by that point. I'll try to find some sources.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

"Clinton's call for sanctions was another example of the hawkish posture on national security issues that has marked her tenure in the Senate and is seen as part of her preparation for a possible 2008 presidential campaign. On Iraq, she has often criticized the administration for not preparing for the chaos and violence after the initial invasion. But she has remained steadfast in resisting calls within her own party to support a rapid withdrawal of troops there, to the dismay of some on the left."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/19/AR2006011903220.html

"The senator's statements, in which she said the administration should make it clear that all options remain on the table for dealing with the Iranians..."

2:44 PM  
Blogger [REDACTED] said...

Here's my biggest (okay maybe second biggest behind the whole "attack Iran" thing) problem with Mrs. Clinton.

http://opensecrets.org/pres08/contrib.asp?id=N00000019&cycle=2008

12:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hmm... I'm thinking about volenteering for the Guiliani campaign. I better go take the test and see if that's really a good fit.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

The results are in... Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee (R) won with 76.47%. He was closely followed by:

Arizona Senator John McCain (R) - 76.47%
Texas Representative Ron Paul (R) - 76.47%
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) - 70.59%

I was highly alarmed that I matched Hill a whopping 41.18%. But I also think it’s telling that my higest match is 76% and my lowest is Dennis Kucinich at 35.29%. I’ve always said I’m split down the middle of the two parties – guess this proves it.

Liz

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home